Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I'm a rookie.
A newbie. Fresh meat. One of the new girls. A trainee...

Whatever you call me, this is my 4th week of training, and I'm not on a team yet.
Recently the rooks and I realized that we won't even get to skate a bout until next season.
Almost a YEAR without skating a bout.
I guess it certainly takes some amount of pressure off....
But training straight into practice for 4-5 months with no bouts AND paying dues.
Crazy.

What's even more crazy is that I'm willing to do it.
I am willing to not skate a bout just so that someday, I can have a taste of the action.

God willing, though, after we're done training, and we've taken our skills tests, the Vets will finally consider us to be IN.
Right now, we're in this limbo where some of the vets will talk to us, and some of them won't- it's mostly "we're not getting to know you till you're in."
Which, I understand.
Let's look at this from a (god forbid) sorority stand point.
This would be seen as hazing- but why get to know girls if you don't even know they're going to get through initiation?

Derby really is a bit like greek life.
Bylaws, dues, calling each other "sisters", hazing.... (except, let's be honest here, all the real hazing we do to ourselves- we joined a sport where it's awesome to fall down because you're going balls to the wall, or get pushed down, and get quick healing injuries....)

It's interesting.
And I love it so much.

We have practice tomorrow.
I was going to buy my pads today- but unforeseen circumstances made it so I can't. Which totally blows, since it's out of my hands.
My landlord from last year STILL hasn't gotten our deposit checks to us.
$375 I could be putting to good use... skates, pads, taking my cat to have a check up, an oil change, etc....
I need that money asap.
And more importantly, I need those pads asap, because i won't be able to learn falling drills without them.

Here's hoping the check comes in soon!
And by soon I mean, yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment