Thursday, August 12, 2010

I posted this as a comment on a blog about real women have curves. I'm so tired of people posting that real women have curves- leaving out the fact that there are millions of women out there who are tiny, wee little things who are shaped like boards, and therefore do not have curves. But, does that make them any less of a woman? HELL no.
So. Here's what a wrote:

I don't really even know what criteria we can establish for what a "real woman" is. Does a real woman have a full time job, or is she a stay at home mom? Is she single or attached? Gay or straight? Thin or thick? Young or old? Synthetic or flesh/bone/membrane? Does she have a god-given vagina or something created in a operating room after months/years of hormone therapy? Do real women veil because of religious belief, or do real women not give into religious hype? Do real women protest abortion clinics, or believe that abortion is for one and all?

Do you see where I'm going here? We are SO much more than our curves. We are more than how we look, what we wear, what color our hair is, our piercings and tattoos- we're women, and I think that's damn fine enough.
I think that's what we have and we should start using it to our advantage, and quite honestly, I am sick and tired of women bashing each other- shouldn't we be lifting each other up?

I recently joined a roller derby league- and I have never met a more incredible group of women. All different shapes and sizes, and different lifestyles, jobs, preferences.... See, in Derby, your size is a blessing. The way you're shaped is only helpful. And your team knows that.
Thank God for Roller Derby.

And Thank God for women. Because we are a forced to be reckoned with.

No comments:

Post a Comment