Wednesday, April 27, 2011

World Domination

The M.E.O. Podcast Network: The M.E.O. Podcast Episode 17 With The Springfield...: "Sandra Day O'Slaughter and Mary Lou Wretched of The Springfield Rollergirls sit down with Eric & Merr at The M.E.O. Command Center to disc..."


I'm currently listening to the MEO Podcast, featuring Sandra Day O'Slaughter and Mary Lou Wretched chat about our team(s) and their overall roller derby experience.

The lovely Ms Wretched definitely said something that struck a chord with me while talking about her job, and being unemployed.

"I am actually currently unemployed, *laughter* which, interestingly enough, there are a few of us on the team who are not working, and I think that what ends up happening is you kind of get to this place, and I think a lot of us have been this way with roller derby, where you're like, 'I'm not gonna deal with this shit anymore.'"

Abso-freakin-lutely.

I really felt the same way with my job.
All through college, I had the same retail job. I had seen managers come and go, co-workers come and go... And granted, the majority of my time there was not terrible. It was a solid job. I got hours, I worked with great people... But there came a time when the leadership changed, and I had to put up with a lot - A LOT - of grief about my life and who I am and roller derby...

And, cutting the shit, I got tired of being called a lesbian by people in leadership positions.

(Let's face it- It wasn't being called a lesbian that was offensive, because really? That's all the creativity that you have? You can't call me something that's actually offensive? It was because it was said multiple times, on the clock, by people who are supposed to exude an air of professionalism, and responsibility while in charge of an entire store.)

"I'm not gonna deal with this shit anymore."

So. I quit. And I'm jobless and poor, but to quote Jack's Mannequin "being poor was never better."

I wouldn't call derby girls... negative or rude or brash (although we can, indeed, be all those things).. I just think that there comes that point when roller derby creates in us this empowered, strong, raging woman, and we can't deal with things that hold us down, or keep us back from being who we are, achieving the things that we want.

Derby has done this for me.

Derby has changed the way I see the world, the way I view women and women-owned/operated organizations, men, jobs.. Everything.




Being poor was never better.

No comments:

Post a Comment