Wednesday, April 20, 2011

grumblegrumblegrumble.

It seems the old adage is, indeed, true. Things do get worse before they get better.

It seems my knee has grown a mind of its own, instead of being controlled by moi. Today, I thought I would pick up my car from the shop and drive it back to the apartment- there's no knee-bending in that operation.
There is, however, foot maneuvering, which my knee did not appreciate.
My knee also didn't appreciate the freedom I gave it yesterday by using both crutches and not my immobilizing brace, as opposed to one crutch and my brace. So So, in backwards fashion, I'm back to two crutches and my brace. Lame, slow, and awkward- but it gets the job done, and I'd like to be as healthy as possible as soon as possible as it seems we have derby girls dropping like flies right now.
We have at least 5 injured. Me, with my hematoma, 2 girls with strained/torn shoulders, one with a messed up foot, and another girl with knee problems. And last I heard, one of our girls hurt her back (again) last night.

I suppose my frustration with my injury, and everyone else's injuries, is that we stretch and do plyometrics and take care of our muscles and bodies (for the most part)... So it seems strange and a bit silly that we still get injured, even taking such precautions to strengthen ourselves against such accidents.

But I know it's not IF a derby girl will get hurt, but WHEN.
Which leads me to looking at the bigger, more successful leagues. What are their injuries like, if any? What is the ratio to girls injured versus girls who are healthy and without injury?

Take for example leagues like Oly and Rocky Mountain... (you should know that the second search option on Google for Oly is "Oly Roller knee pads" lol)
Atomatrix - holla!

Those silly bitches wear cheap pad sets bought at places like Walmart. (Granted, I know not EVERY Oly Roller/RMRG/Nationals Ranked rollergirl wears tiny bandaid knee pads. It is the exception rather than the rule.. but STILL) I know this is because they are such strong and talented skaters that they don't fall down... THEY give the beatings, they don't take them.
But what stops those incredible ladies from being so easily injured?
(And as a sidebar.. look at that stellar form. I just... Holy shit. I can only hope that someday I'll have form like that....)

Is it because derby owns their lives, and they practice 3, 4, 5 times a week? Is it because they have better or longer training than us new baby leagues? Is it because their off-skate training is better or more intense than ours?

I really don't spend that much time pondering these types of things, but maybe I should. Maybe we all should.
What makes WFTDA Nationals leagues any less prone to injury?
Or ARE they any less prone to injury?

And further more, I think leagues should have a standing prescription at pharmacy's for pain killers. Maybe that sounds a little narc-addict of me, but let's face it- sometimes a tylenol3 really does the trick... :)

Sigh. Just my random musings while I ice my knee and wait for the ibuprofen to kick in...

I leave you with a new photo of Alice, my hematoma... Taken yesterday... the bruising has spread a little more to the inside of my knee, and a bit down my shin...

No comments:

Post a Comment