Wednesday, February 16, 2011

On insurance, roller derby and my mother.

Obamacare changed insurance ages to 26- so kids could stay on their parent's insurance until then.
However, my insurance company found some crazy loop hole/glitch/something to kick me off at 25.
So, I've been nearly a year without insurance.
Which wasn't scary until I started playing derby.

Typically, I feel I can't skate hard enough or play hard enough because I am terrified I will get injured and have to go to the hospital.
And having no insurance... that's expensive.
Really expensive.

My mom called the other day to explain that in June, the insurance company will put me back on.
However, I turn 26 in August.
So, I'll be right back to no insurance.

The conversation went a little like this:
Mom: So, in those two months, we'll get you appointments for EVERYTHING.
Me: That's a lot of doctors.
Mom: Right, but you'll be able to get everything done and you'll be good for a while.
Me: Yeah, for about a year-ish. I'll be able to limp along a year's supply of contacts for 2 years, and I'll need new glasses, but everything should be fine. BUT that's two years without insurance.
Mom: Yeah.
Me: Two years is a long time. But that's not to say I won't get a job that will offer me benefits. It just scares me that I won't have insurance while I play derby.
Mom: Well, things happen.
Me: Right. Things happen. Expensive things happen when you get injured.
Mom: Don't worry about it. Hospitals work with you.

Well. It made me feel a little better to know that A, if shit happens, shit will work out. And B, that I think my mom has finally warmed up to the idea of me playing derby.
It might not sound like much, but that last little bit my mother said to me is almost consent, if you will.

My mind is resting easier after that conversation.
Hopefully I'll play harder now. ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment