Saturday, October 22, 2011

this and that.

I've been reading a lot about negative calorie foods.
I've always known they exist, but I've never known much about them... Or how many there are!!

Here's one of the many websites on which I've been cruising around...

It explains negative calories as: "what negative calorie foods are believe to be are in actual fact foods that if consumed into the body either raw, or in a few instances cooked only slightly on their own with nothing added them, will use more calories to process and digest than the amount that they contain."

Negative calorie foods - Negative calorie fruits

  • Apple
  • Blueberries
  • Cantaloupe
  • Cranberries
  • Grapefruit
  • Honeydew
  • Limes
  • Lemon
  • Mango
  • Orange
  • Papaya
  • Peach
  • Pineapple
  • Raspberries
  • Strawberries
  • Tangerines
  • Tomato
  • Watermelon

Negative calorie foods - Negative calorie vegetables

  • Asparagus
  • Beet Root
  • Broccoli
  • Cabbage (green)
  • Carrot
  • Cauliflower
  • Celery
  • Chile peppers (hot)
  • Cucumber
  • Dandelion
  • Endive
  • Garden cress
  • Garlic
  • Green beans
  • Lettuce
  • Onion
  • Radishes
  • Spinach
  • Turnip
  • Zucchini

I mean... what?? Why haven't I been eating more of these delicious foods??
and why haven't I looked into this before now??

I love, and eat, a lot of these already - but not on a very consistent basis.
Looks like I'll be adding more items to my produce shopping list!!


In other news, I've also starting looking up derby articles about stress fractures and/or top-of-my-foot pain, in general.
The news is not awesome... It is also not surprising.

I know I'm not the only derby girl that has foot pain from time to time.
At least one of our girls finally succumbed to her foot pain and saw the doctor... Verdict? Stress fracture.
She doesn't skate anymore.. and we miss her a lot.

However, there are things derby kids can do to avoid injury, and, it's not surprising that stretching and strength training can help.

I was reading this article from Atlanta Roller Derby, and she outlines a few helpful points!

And maybe a lot of it is common sense, but:
-Get fitted for, and buy boots that fit. Our rink owner, Mr Ted Hall himself, is incredible in that aspect. He is SO good to us. Once I've saved up for my new boots, I will, of course, order them from Mr Ted. Have your rink owner fit your feet, and help you pick out gear - not just boots - so that you are wearing proper gear and protecting all your vital assets! You only have one body, so take care of it!

-Identify the pain. Where is it happening, why is it happening, how can to remedy it?

-Stretch and strengthen -

-Read up on common derby injuries so that your trainer - or you- can formulate a plan to protect your feet and joints.



Okay, kids... I'm running out of steam while writing this... It's been a very long, very busy day - and tomorrow will be even longer - work 10-3, then set up for the bout starts at 4:15... Then I work Monday morning!

Only 1.5 weeks until I start my big girl job.
But that's for another post at another time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment